top of page

Sherwood Vocational Services FAQs

Whether you are an adult looking for employment supports or a business considering hiring an individual with a disability, the Sherwood Vocational team is here to support you every step of the way.

Amanda - Malicious Women_edited.jpg

For participants:


Do I qualify to have Sherwood support me?

If you are at least 18 years old with a documented disability and have a funding agent for services such as Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDA), Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), Department of Services for the Blind (DSB), Foundational Community Supports (FCS) or a High School transition program, also known as School to Work, then you qualify for Vocational Services with Sherwood. FCS includes Medicare/Medicaid, mental health, substance abuse disorder and housing insecurities.

Sherwood also accepts Private Pay clients. Please contact the Program Manager in your county to learn more.

What if I'm still in High School?

If you are currently in a High School transition program, with a documented disability, your transition coordinator should be able to connect you with the Sherwood Vocational Program.

How will Sherwood support me in finding a job?

Together, as a team, we utilize Sherwood's Vocational Services Steps to Success:




Depending on the program you are enrolled in, you may qualify for long term supports.
Find out more about being a part of Sherwood's Vocational Program by reading the Participant Handbook.

Will Sherwood be there at my interviews?

Yes, in most cases, your Employment Specialist will be there to support you at your interview. They will work with you to prepare for the interview before hand as well. They will aide in setting up any necessary accommodations you may need during the interview process. 

What if I don't like my job?

The goal of the Sherwood Vocational team is to ensure you are in a job that you love and that best fits your goals and needs. The initial discovery process is meant to help find that best fit. If you are unhappy at your job for any reason, it's important to be honest with your job coach. They can either help coach you through why you are unhappy or help you transition into something that is a better fit. 

What if I have more questions?

The Sherwood team is ready to answer any further questions you may have.

Tom Clark, Snohomish County Manager

Angie Ramsey, Skagit/Island County Manger

Cara Cohn, San Juan County Manager

For employers:

Sherwood serves clients with a range of interest and abilities. Sherwood strives to find the best match for the employer and our program members. If you’re interested and want to learn more about our qualified candidates please contact the Program Manager that serves your county.

Myths and Facts:

Will I have to pay the wages of the Employment Specialist?

No. The Employment Specialist is an employee of Sherwood. Their wages and benefits are paid for by Sherwood.

Will it cost me more money to employ an individual with a disability?

No. Sherwood Vocational program members are looking for equitable wages and don't require any additional funds from an employer. Most program members are looking for minimal hours/days a week and could fill a part-time need an employer may have. There may also be federal tax credits available to offset part of the individual’s wages in their first year of employment.

What will my customers or other staff think?

By hiring an individual with a disability you are showing the community and your other staff that you respect and prioritize the inclusion of people of all abilities. You are making a difference in the lives of others. An inclusive community is a stronger community. 

​I don’t think I have time for this kind of project.

Our goal is to make great job matches – that means candidates need to fill a need your business has that will benefit your bottom line and your team’s efficiency. Hiring an individual Sherwood supports is a time-saver for your business. You will nurture and grow your new employee just like any other member of your team who is adding to the mission of your organization.

Will I have to make special accommodations?

The American with Disabilities Act states covered entities are required to provide reasonable accommodations to job applicants and employees with disabilities. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are typically done that the person needs because of a disability, and can include, among other things, special equipment that allows the person to perform the job, scheduling changes, and changes to the way work assignments are chosen or communicated. Studies show that 90% of accommodations cost just $100 or less, with 72% of those accommodations associated with NO COST to the employer – these are modifications such as scheduling allowances, job shares, job restructuring, or policy modifications.

Talk to the Sherwood Program Manager in your county if you have specific questions regarding possible accommodations.

Tom Clark, Snohomish County Manager

Angie Ramsey, Skagit/Island County Manger

Cara Cohn, San Juan County Manager

Vocational Services Steps for Success

Amanda works on packaging at Malicious Women Candle Co in Snohomish. 

bottom of page